a glimpse into our life through photos and words

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

welcome...come in to our garden


Poppy shows off our first strawberry




the solarium is our garden this year...way too many bunnies for us to keep out of a garden this year. next year we plan on a raised bed plot with an itty bitty fence. outside the door we have mint, a blueberry plant, and a raspberry transplant that Jess and Nick brought from their yard in MN (it will eventually make it's home in the ground, we just haven't found the right sunny spot for it yet.)






all our baby starts thriving in the indoor sun, heat and humidity






cherry tomato blossom!






the cherry tomatoes we started in the Aerogarden and the cucumber plant that Sol started in his science class. all unbelievably healthy and happy!






baby cilantro doing well in its egg carton home






our sunflower seeds standing tall in their apple carton. i feel awful buying apples that way from Costco (I don't buy produce there often but Costco is our closest 'grocery store' until this fall when Middleton will welcome Willy West Co-Op!!!!) but at least the container had a second purpose.






our AeroGarden Herbs now doing great in pots and soil.






our hanging strawberry basket...our first Farmer's Market purchase of the year!






YUM.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! What an unbelievably prolific solarium garden you have underway. Nice work! I totally understand the need for critter containment. I want to rent a cat, preferably a good hunter, to scare away all our assorted rodents. Some enterprising person should start up that service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely greenhouse! Very groovy.
    My neighbor's cats seem to keep our critters away. I think that's what's doing it anyway. Living with woods in the back and side of our yard, I was a bit afraid. But I've not seen a bunny, groundhog, raccoon, possum since we've been here. Not even a snake. Maybe it's Blanche, the killer Shitsu that keeps them away.
    You could try my Papa's idea: bb gun. He called it his "discourager." He'd stand inside and shoot thru an open door, so the neighbors wouldn't see. He'd hit them from too far away to hurt them, but it sure made them move fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your solarium - what a perfect garden place! The plants all look so healthy and happy. It's summer in Middleton - yeah! Poppy, can I have a bite of that beautiful strawberry? nana

    ReplyDelete