a glimpse into our life through photos and words

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Something new

The camera has been just sitting on the desk all week...actually, since we returned home from Montana.

We have been busy playing catch up from vacation, been getting involved with new things going on this spring, Soccer started for Sol, I began working toward my 30 needed hours of Master Gardener Service, spending time on figuring out where to plant some veggies in our yard, getting some spring sickies out of the way...etc. However, every now and again I go through the thought process of how I feel the camera can and sometimes does interfere with the moment. When I break from the Moment to grab the camera, turn it on, point at the subject, focus and focus again, take the picture (all the while trying to be discreet and casual) and then check back into the moment....well, sometimes I just feel like it just slips on by with some of the magic slipping away with it. A little blip of the Present Moment getting interrupted. Maybe I just need practice my photography skills. Maybe I am thinking too much into it....or maybe not. The pictures in our heads are the sometimes the best memories we have. Such was the case this holiday weekend. Sweet memories that are tucked away in our minds. Someday, I realize that we may want all the pictures we can get our hands on to visually bring us back to certain times in our lives but alas, this time, this span of two weeks, these particular moments in time, the camera sat.
Thoughtfully sat.

Anyway, no pictures this week but I have been wanting to share a tidbit I remember (and was refreshed with while at home in MT) from my childhood and years spent with my Mom. Somehow this saying in particular was etched into my Being. I think about it, or some rendition of it, almost daily. The littlest things sometimes have a way of making the greatest impacts.


My Mom's way of planning a meal (as learned from her high school teacher!)

Something soft and something crisp should always go together.
Something hot and something cold no matter what the weather.
Something bland needs the compliment of something with both tang and nip.
Follow these rules and all your meals will have taste appeal and zip!



Have a good week~

4 comments:

  1. You are an amazing woman on so many levels. Love this blog - even with a "quiet" camera. I can PICTURE your week. Great saying from your Mom. Love you guys. Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute saying...and so much truth to it.
    I, too, believe the best memories are those that have been etched into our hearts. No picture will ever tell the story of how Theo or Sullivan first felt in my arms, or the abundance of love I felt for Eric when I first saw him on our wedding day.

    Have a great weekend!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to look at things differently. A cameraless week painted with words. You are an artist.

    I do envy your family getting to go to the Mustard Museum parade. Wow! Just think if the Mustard runners ran all the way to Milwaukee and met the Sausage racers! Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good for all of us to remember to take time and enjoy our moments. Thank you for the reminder.

    Great dinner planning poem!

    ReplyDelete