a glimpse into our life through photos and words

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

fried rice

it is by pure coincidence that poppy and I both picked out jeans and light grey sweaters to wear today. we often look like we are trying to be same-same...but really, our minds just think alike.


Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are the days in which we 1.) don't work and 2.) pretty much operate on an open schedule. we do our errands, baking, cooking, cleaning, crafty projects, painting our toenails, etc... all things the boys are not crazy about. however, on Wednesdays, we try to attend the Mobile Play and Learn playgroup. it is run like a preschool but the parents or care givers are present and participating in play. it is really fun for poppy and really fun for me to see her singing, dancing, sharing snacks (and the unfortunate part, sharing a lot of germs too) learning Spanish, & painting with kids her age. we debated going today, and haven't gone the past two Wednesdays either due to her being sick. *note the aforementioned, 'sharing a lot of germs.' today she has another sore throat and since this afternoon...a headache. it just won't quit this season! anyway, that's another story. we went to playgroup and had a lot of fun. we were there for just over and hour and returned home at noon ready to make lunch. normally when asked what she would like to eat, 9 times out of 10 Poppy will answer with some sort of bread product and cheese combination: Annie's Mac and Cheese, a quesadilla, a grilled cheese and tomato soup, leftover pizza, a Baby Bel cheese wheel and pretzels, you get the picture! (always served with a healthy dose of fruit and veggies too!) but, today I didn't ask her what she wanted for I had an 'a-ha moment'.....fried rice! we nearly always have leftover rice in the fridge, tofu in a package, veggies to chop up and heat up, etc.
the best part is poppy and I both love it and it was on the table in nearly the same amount of time as it takes to prepare Annie's. so, here are some pictures of our lovely little lunch concoction and the directions on how we did it...to a degree.




fried rice

saute a bit of chopped onion in oil for several minutes. add a handful of frozen petite peas, some diced, baked tofu, and a grated carrot. saute several more minutes then add 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. stir to combine and add leftover rice, about 2 cups. cook, stirring often, until rice is hot - about 5 minutes. serve with Sriracha for an extra kick. would be really easy to modify to your liking. enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I think Poppy and Theo might be soulmates~they love the exact same foods! If only I could get Theo to eat rice.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had fried rice for a long time. Thanks for the reminder. I always toss an egg in mine, though I'm not sure why.
    Tonight is cheese/beer soup and roasted veggies, but I'm thinking lunch tomorrow. . . .

    Hugs to you, my hero.

    ReplyDelete